Monday, June 8, 2015

Donor milk

Since day one with Kate, I have made a lot of milk... which was quite the opposite with Max and Claire.  I had to supplement with them the whole ten months I pumped.  Especially in the first two weeks with Kate, my let down was so strong I found myself feeding and pumping almost every two hours.  I quickly accumulated a nice stash for the freezer.  

Milk has taken over our freezer!
I probably have 80 freezer bags of milk - so much that I had to take most of it to the rental house freezer.  
Last Friday I got a call from a nurse that I had been talking to.  She had a new patient that had been panicking because she was already having to give her newborn daughter formula and was unable to find a local donor milk bank.  The nurse had remembered how much milk I had and called to see if I would be interested in donating my milk.  I have always thought milk sharing was weird and I personally wouldn't want to feed my baby someone else's milk. (just my opinion).  This patient is a pediatrician along with her husband so she knew the risks of donor milk.  I thought about this overnight and decided I would donate 20 bags of milk. (I still have around 60 bags).  The other patient called me and we set up a time the next day to meet.  She brought me a new box of freezer bags and I handed over my hard earned milk!  Although I do not plan on donating anymore of my milk, I am glad I could help another mom.
Really hoping it is good karma ;)

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I donated my leftover milk after Drake's birthday and it was a weird, yet empowering exchange.

    ReplyDelete